6 Weeks Until the Texas Bar Exam

Finishing up this last week puts me nearly halfway done with my prep-time and although I did not put in as many hours as I have the last few weeks, I think that the hours I did do were very productive.  For starters, I should admit that I took a half-day off on Tuesday.  I studied almost 10 hours on Monday and went to bed with a headache that stayed all night and until about noon the next day.  (I think that’s due to the fact that my contact lens prescription is over 4 years old and with as much reading as I’ve been doing lately, it’s putting lots of strain on my eyes.  Mostly, I’m staying with my glasses and that’s really helped.)

The fact that it was tax day coupled with the headache didn’t inspire me to get out of bed, so I slept in an extra hour and then got up and watched the tax lecture online.  Then I got a snarky email from the Board of Law Examiners that “according to their records” I had not yet downloaded the software necessary for taking the exam on my laptop.

Well, according to my records they said we had until June 19th to do that and I hadn’t gotten around to it.  Something about sinking another $107 into taking this exam was just not motivating me to hurry up.  I had it on my To Do list and was going to get to it before the 19th, but they informed me that my bar exam admission ticket would not be issued until I downloaded (and tested) the software.  So, even though I had a whole week before their self-imposed deadline, I went ahead and did the stupid download.  And I did the three required practice tests (type one paragraph of whatever you want on three different screens) then uploaded said practice tests.    Consequently, it was way harder to study at home with all the constant interruptions and things demanding my immediate attention.

Friday, I decided that I needed to find somewhere else to study because the library closes at 6 p.m. and I need a place until at least 7 p.m.  So I decided to try an outside venue as I am really tired of being inside from sun up to sun down breathing re-circulated air. I found a nice place that was off the beaten path and except for the fact that there was no plug for my laptop, I could’ve stayed there all day.  I hauled myself and books there and although it was a bit of a walk, it was so nice when I got settled.  Here was my view:

I sat there in the cool shade and took a practice test and then graded my test.  It was so quiet with few people coming by that I could feel the stress just seeping away.  I was so relaxed I thought about stretching out on the table and taking a nap, but fought the urge.  Then, I had to go to the bathroom and it occurred to me that there was not one anywhere close by, so  after only about two hours I had to pack up and make my way back up to the surface.  And wow…the walk up was way harder than the walk down especially with my load of books and laptop.  I thought about the time I was “wasting” walking around trying to find a place to work, but you know what, that was the only significant amount of exercise I’ve had in weeks (I know this because it’s Sunday and I’m STILL sore!).  Suffice it to say, the afternoon was a change of pace and I still got plenty of work done. Sometimes you just need a change of scene to wake up the mind.

I’ve gotten several of my sample essay’s back from Barbri and I think it’s going well.  My lowest has been 16/25 points with my highest 20/25 points.  The key to these is learning the law, so as long as I keep doing that, I think I have a good shot at the Texas Essays.  I am still doing an MPT every Sunday and the last one I did I sent to my professor for review.  Afterward, I looked at the sample answer and I was right on point with my analysis, so that felt pretty good.  Lastly, I will finish ALL the AMP modules (finally) today.  I have one last module in Contracts and I will have done over 500 multiple choice questions in addition to those we’re doing as part of the Barbri paced program.

Wednesday of this week some of my Barbri friends and I are going to attend a free CLE class at a downtown law firm followed by a happy hour there.  We’ve been planning this for weeks, but we’re not going to neglect our studies.  We’re going to commandeer a conference room at the firm where one of the girls worked last summer so we can study for the afternoon before going to the CLE.  Bar prep never stops—even for happy hour!

This week I’ve logged a mere 49.25 hours, but I kept to my schedule with the P&Es and did three sets as I planned.  This week we start out with a two-day Torts lecture.   As this is one of my favorite subjects, it shouldn’t be bad.  Then we move into Evidence and Federal Income Tax.  More TAX!!!  I feel another headache coming on!  🙂


About LegalTrenches

I graduated law school in May 2012 and have been blogging about my experience as a non-traditional student since my 2L year. I live over 200 miles from my law school and so I commuted two round trips a week from the beginning. I put almost 1000 miles a week on my car. Law school is crazy. It's even crazier as a non-traditional commuter student, but I wouldn't have had it any other way! I blogged my way through bar prep and sat for the July 2012 Texas Bar exam. Hopefully some of my experiences will help out those taking the bar exam after me. On Nov. 1, 2012, I received my bar results and became an officially licensed Texas lawyer! Follow me as I transition into the legal world as a brand new baby lawyer. I'll try to keep it light and promise to keep it real.

Posted on June 17, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: