I’ve decided there are both good and not so good things about returning to work at a previous job—not only after having left to go to law school, but just generally.
So here are my TOP 10 both pro and con:
10) No hassle with downtown parking because the guard still knows who you are.
9) You can bring a lunch on the first day and nobody thinks it’s weird.
8) Within the first hour of your arrival they pass you the sign-up sheet for the luncheon and you know just what to do; no words necessary.
7) Ready-made group of cohorts/friends/partners in crime.
6) When they send out the email that lunch is served, you know just HOW fast to move to get there and assure that you don’t get leftovers. He who hesitates is lost.
5) Everyone who was cool before is still cool; everyone who was weird is still weird, and everyone who was a pain is still a pain. There’s comfort in consistency.
4) You can forgo the nickname: “The New Girl/Guy” for the duration of your stay.
3) The lady that takes badge pictures will try really hard to take a good one and/or will let you do a re-take.
2) The term “unemployed” does NOT apply to you.
And the number one reason that returning to a previous job is a good thing:
You’ve got nothing to prove; they already like you and your work product!
10) It’s hard NOT to spend half the first week saying “hi” to everyone you haven’t seen in months.
9) Those closed files you left in 2008 are still waiting for YOU to review them for destruction.
8) Paper timesheets and payday lag. (Boooo!)
7) Having to use an office coffee mug or bring in one from home daily.
6) Being out of the loop. Me: “Hey, where’s so and so?” [Awkward silence] Response: “They…left.”
5) Weird looks from people who were hired after you left and now can’t figure out why everyone already knows you.
4) That frozen dinner in the office freezer is dated June 2009 and has your initials on it.
3) On one hand: Figuring out a proper response to, “You’re back already?”
2) On the other hand: Figuring out a proper response to the person who completely ignores the fact that you’ve suddenly reappeared after 4 months.
And the number one reason that returning to a previous job is a not such a good thing:
Constant urge to tell the person doing your old job that they aren’t doing it right. (Because, they aren’t!) 🙂
Even so, I am enjoying my three weeks away from law school and things have been relatively low-key. There is something to be said about one’s comfort zone!